“We enrolled Rocket in Doggie Dates [now Cautious Canines] to give Rocket time to learn social skills (and me a chance to learn NOT to panic when Rocket barked). Rocket was an insecure pup who frequently looked fearful around other dogs but, after our classes, his confidence is growing (as is ours as trainers/owners).” – Wendy & Rocket
Cautious Canines – Mondays 8pm-9pm- starting August 17th
Out of stock
Out of stock
Imagine an indoor, temperature-controlled, off-leash dog park where a lifeguard is always “on duty” and specifically made for shy dogs – that’s our Cautious Canines class! Since this class is for “cautious” dogs, this means that all the attending dogs are shy or fearful, but not aggressive, around other dogs, humans, or both. During this class, we will talk about fearful behavior in dogs, effective exercises to help them overcome that fear, and let the dogs go at their own, individual pace. If your dog has trouble meeting new doggie or human friends due to a “Chicken Little” personality that always thinks the sky is falling, this is the class for you!
We’re sorry, animal rescues, but this class is not the right place to “test” a foster with other dogs. In order to join the class, the dog must have fearful or cautious, but not aggressive, behavior around humans or other dogs. If you’re not sure if your dog is a good fit for our Cautious Canines class, please call 919-451-4495 so we can discuss your dog’s personality, behavioral history, and how the Cautious Canines class may help them overcome their insecurities around people and/or other dogs.
This is one of our on-going classes so you can enroll and begin coming to class at any time. It is also very flexible and accommodates busy schedules. Weekly attendance is not required, and there are no makeup lessons required for missed weeks. You have ten business weeks to attend your six classes. You do not need to know which six dates you will attend ahead of time. We only ask that if you are going to miss a class, you email your instructor beforehand to let them know. Students are given a chance to renew for another six weeks of fun at the end of each package, and can continue to attend in their class session as long as space is available.
– The appropriate ages for this class are any dogs six months or older at the start of class. Any puppies under six months of age are welcome to sign up for one of our Puppy Classes to socialize with more age-appropriate puppies.
– Since spots go quickly, we require both pre-registration and non-refundable pre-payment to reserve a spot. This helps you (and other interested owners) know exactly which sessions are still available.
– We like to keep our class size small – so we limited it to six dogs enrolled so that the dogs aren’t overwhelmed each session.
– If you have two dogs, living within the same family, that you’d like to bring together, please use coupon code “2nddog” for 50% off your second dog’s registration fee.
– We’re sorry, but this class does not cover manners and obedience (such as potty training, crate training, destructive chewing, sit, down, focus, wait, etc). If you’re interested in manners and obedience training, please check out our Foundations options.
– While we can demonstrate exercises that will help overcome your dog’s fearful and anxious behaviors, behavior challenges (such as severe on-leash reactivity – barking, growling, and/or lunging at others while on leash – excessive barking, separation anxiety, confinement distress, extreme fearfulness of people or dogs, or aggression) cannot be covered in a group class setting. If you are experiencing this type behavior with your dog, please check out our Private Training options. This way, we can tailor a training program to tackle your dog’s individual needs.